Arunachal Pradesh is one of the richest states in genetic bio-diversity, variability & speciation of plant species. Hence the man made forests irrespective of afforestation or reforestation has taken the lead over natural regeneration by raising about 15 thousand hectare plantation of different tree species every year in the territory. Unless we use the certified quality seeds for plantation, we can not predict the future of those plantation in terms of survival, growth, clear bole, disease and pest resistance and quality of wood etc and therefore the fluctuation in target i.e. maximum timber production per unit area in a time bound manner is bound to affect if the research priorities are not attended and accelerated.
At the same time, demands for wood are increasing. Tree improvement is one avenue by which we can increase both future wood volume and value. Hence tree improvement is a vital component of modern forestry. Accordingly, objectives and achievements of genetic divisions are given below.
- Ex- situ conservation and developmentof germ plasm of commercially important timber species and of elite clones of non timber forest products.
- In situ conservation of seed stand/ seed production area of timber species as per their geographical zone.
- Establishment of clonal seed orchards of commercially important timber species as per the demand of quality seeds for afforestation programme.
- Intra cloning hybridization among the clones in clonal seed orchards.
- Supply of elite clone scions and quality seeds to the various research institutes and NGOs to raise quality plantations.
- To develop the nursery technique of important timber and non timber forestry species.
- Seed certification.
- To develop the protocol of elite tree species and non timber species through tissue culture.
- Establishment of demonstration plots of commercially important timber species in different geographical zones to assess their performance of growth data (height, girth timber volume and quality of timber) and resistant to pest and insect.
- Training and awareness.
- Establishment of first seed orchards of 12 species viz Acrocarpus fraxinifolius, Chukrasia tabularis, Phoebe goalparensis, Gmelina arborea, Altingia excelsa etc.
- Establishment of germ plasm bank of 18 commercially important tree species.
- Establishment of germ plasm bank of 9 commercially important bamboo species and Broomgrass (Thysanolaena maxima).
- Maintenance of 42 ha seed orchards and 10 ha of germ plasm bank for 12 local species.
- Seed testing of more than 250 tree/NTFP species. viz Morus laevigata, Phoebe goalparensis, Bombax ceiba, Azedirachta indica, Bauhinia veriegata, Dipterocarpus macrocarpus and Canarium strictus etc.
- Development of appropriate method of macropropagation of woody species using air layering, budding, L - grafting, Cleft grafting, root grafting, branch cutting etc for different species.
- Application of tissue culture technology and standardization of protocols of 6 tree species and 4 non timber forestry species.
- Creation of seed production area of Terminalia myriocarpa in respect to their geographical zone.
- Research and Technical Staff
- Dr. S. P. Ahlawat, Forest Geneticist
- Dr. S. N. Hegde, Orchidologist with additional charge as Forest Geneticist & Director, SFRI, Itanagar
- Shri. U.V.Singh, Tech. Asstt.
- Field staff of Van Vigyan Kendra, Chessa and Namsai range, Namsai
- Secretarial Assistant from office of the SFRI, and DFO, Silviculture