The division envisages to bring to light the faunal diversity, its ethnozoological values and traditional knowledge systems in the state. A museum development and extension programmes are also in the aims of this discipline. Significant achievements so far are:
- Wildlife information system on birds of Arunachgal Pradesh
- Faunistic survey – 10 districts covered.
- Pest control – serious pest attacks in forest nursery and plantations monitored and control measures for 3 species developed.
- Zoology museum developed containing over 100 snakes, World’s second collection of a rare snake Oligodon erythrorachis, 1800 insects and 320 others.
- Ethnozoology of Adi tribes studied.
- An ethnozoological section and another for referral museum of snakes added to the Zoology museum.
- Distribution and habitat studies for non human primates completed.
- Studies on traditional knowledge system and conservation practices initiated.
- Documentation information gathered through above mentioned activities.
- Dr. A. Borang, Forest Zoologist
- Shri B. B. Bhatt, RA